The Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU) was established on June 12, 1964 at Hyderabad.
The University was formally inaugurated on March 20, 1965 by Late Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India. Another significant milestone was the inauguration of the building programme of the University by Late Smt Indira Gandhi, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India on June 23, 1966.The University was renamed as Acharya N. G. Ranga Agricultural University on November 7th 1996 in honour and memory of an outstanding Parliamentarian Acharya N.G. Ranga, who rendered remarkable selfless service for the cause of farmers and is regarded as an outstanding educationist, kisan leader and freedom fighter.
The importance of the application of Science and Technology for Agricultural development was realized as early as in the beginning of this century. Among the several commissions appointed for suggesting steps to streamline agriculture development, the Royal Commission (1926) emphasized the need for a strong research base for agricultural development. Subsequently, the recommendations of the Radhakrishnan Commission (1949) on University Educationled to the establishment of Rural Universities for the overall development of agriculture and rural life in the country. Later, the Government of India constituted the First Joint Indo-American Team (1955) that studied the status and future needs of agricultural education in the country. The report of this.
Commission laid the foundation for all the subsequent developments with regard to agricultural education in India. However, for want of specific recommendations, the Government of India appointed the Second Joint Indo-American Team (1960) headed by Dr. M. S. Randhawa, the then Vice-President of Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The team submitted its report in 1960, which recommended specifically the establishment of Farm Universities and spelt out the basic objectives of these Universities as.
- Inclusion of Agriculture
- Veterinary/ Animal Husbandry and Home Science
- Integration of Teaching, Research and Extension
Later, the report of the Second National Education Commission (1964-66), headed by Dr. D.S. Kothari, Chairman of the University Grants Commission stressed the need for establishing at least one Agricultural University in each Indian State. As a result, the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University (APAU) was established on June 12, 1964 at Hyderabad. Shri. O. Pulla Reddi, I.C.S. (Retired) was the first Vice-Chancellor of the University.
In accordance with provisions of the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University Act, 1963, some of the Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Science were transferred from the Universities to which they had been affiliated to the Andhra Pradesh Agricultural University during June, 1964. These are: Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Science, Hyderabad (established in 1961, affiliated to Osmania University), Agricultural College, Bapatala (established in 1945, affiliated to Andhra University), Sri Venkateswara Agricultural College, Tirupati (established in 1961, affiliated to Sri Venkateswara University) and Andhra Veterinary College, Tiruapti (established in 1961, also affiliated to Sri Venkateswara University). In addition, 41 Agricultural Research Stations, functioning under the Department of Agriculture and four Research Stations of the animal Husbandry Department were transferred to the University in July, 1966 and May, 1967, respectively.
The University was formally inaugurated on March 20, 1965 by late Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India. Another significant milestone was the inauguration of the University's building programme by Smt. Indira Gandhi, the then Hon'ble Prime Minister of India on June 23, 1966.
A life size bronze statue of Acharya N.G. Ranga was unveiled by His Excellency Dr.C.Ranagarajan, the Governor of Andhra Pradesh on 7th November, 1998 at the main campus of the University.