- Brucellosis is considered to be a significant public health problem in India.
- Fewer than 10% of the human cases of brucellosis in India may be clinically recognized and treated or reported.
- Most common symptoms are intermittent fever, joint pain and swelling , sweating, dizziness, headaches, chest and abdominal pain etc, though there are a wide range of symptoms that can be seen.
- Humans get infection by drinking raw milk of infected animal or by contact with infected secretions through skin or mucous membranes, especially conjunctiva. (See chapter D in Section IV on Bovine Brucellosis)
- Accidental injection with S 19 vaccine could also lead to infection.
Zoonotic diseases can be cured if diagnosed and treated promptly