- Babesiosis is caused by a type of microbe called protozoa.
- Fever, inappetence, increased respiratory rate, sharp decrease in milk production, muscle tremors, anaemia, jaundice, abortion, constipation or diarrhoea are the common symptoms.
- Curable if treated promptly.
- In later stages, loss of weight with haemoglobinuria is seen. Nervous symptoms may also be seen.
- It is better to repeat treatment if colour of urine does return to normal by 24 hours after treatment.
- Babesiosis is not to be confused with “Red Water Disease” which is an acute highly fatal bacterial disease seen especially in areas with liver fluke infestation.
Treat tick-borne infections promptly – save your animal