- Ephemeral fever is viral disease of cattle and buffalo.
- It is an insect-transmitted disease.
- Persists usually for 3 days.
- Morbidity may be very high but mortality is very low (1-2%).
- Biphasic to polyphasic fever with shivering, tears from eyes and decreased appetite.
- Nasal discharge, drooling, labored breathing, depression, stiffness, lameness and sudden decrease in milk yield.
PREVENTION AND TREATMENT
- Spontaneous recovery usually occurs within a few days.
- Proper fly control would help to reduce the disease (See chapter on fly management).
- Complete rest is the most effective treatment. Recovered animals should not be stressed or worked for some days since relapse may occur.
- Consult a veterinarian for symptomatic treatment.